Square Enix CEO: Final Fantasy Brand "Greatly Damaged"

Link to the Gamespot article:

Get my newest YouTube Videos sent right to your Facebook page:

Become a fan on Facebook:

43 thoughts on “Square Enix CEO: Final Fantasy Brand "Greatly Damaged"

Xitra Lunrise

Final Fantasy 14 such a beautiful thing now <3

mooganify

Lmao look at Capcom now

The Reaper Death

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

yes yes the fuck i did enjoy XIII and no i dont think square enix or any japanese company should cater to western audiences like square enix is doing with final fantasy XV

Demonic Akumi

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

I was looking forward to FFXIII as I thought they were going to make it good as past FF games. Nope. Was shit. Didn't touch the sequels of them either.
    FFXI 2.0 known as FFXIV can also fuck off. The new FFXV that's not even out yet looks fucking horrible.
    FF been greatly damaged after FFVI

Germaine Taylor

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

Hopefully square enix learns from its past mistakes and makes FF15 as amazing as it looks although I personaly hope they create  a console version of bravely default after bravely second is released

Germaine Taylor

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

FF 13s battle system is garbage  you have no control over the rest of your party and in the first game if your party leader dies its game over you cant switch out your party leader and every thing is automated except change your character class to access differnt skills the game takes all controll and dirrection away from the player the battle system in ff 10 kills ff 13 even ff12s battle system was more enjoyable at least in ff12 you could decied what gambets your party had available and how your partys ai would respond sort of like dragons age origin not to mention ff13 was completely  on rails

southparkdudez

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

Can I say something. FF13 introduced me to the series and turnbased rpgs. Now I played (but havent beat any of them) FF* FF10 FF10-2, and Parsite eve

murrowboy

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

Although I did not like FF13 – I don't see how it was a pile of crap or bad.  The game just was not appealing at it's core.  There was no doubt tons and tons of effort put into it.  They even re-did the lip-sync for American dub.  A developer that spits out crap would never go through such efforts for their product.

In my honest opinion, it was soley the rotten story that ruined the game.  Hands down.  The new battle system was not that bad.  The graphics and presentation was superb. People play RPG's for story and leveling up – FF13 failed horribly in both catogories.  I didn't care about leveling up or the stack of "new" spells you can learn by doing so.  The leveling system was very linear and boring.  Story was complex and boring.  The characters were unappealing.  (except for lightning).

Put all those together and you have a very very medicore RPG with the graphics/presentation/ some gameplay saving it.  I beat it and never touch it again.  The end.

Kasclepius

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

With something like FFX2, FFX4 is just a freaking wow copycat for shame square just make FFX2 online and call it FFX4

STYLES: Conejo VS SillyCon

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

FFXI (initial release through 2011+) .. MOST AWESOME GAME EVER PURE CRACK EPIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FFXIII nobody cares.
    FFXIV (especially initial release) worst game.  ever.

Just get together with bankrupt Capcom and attempt the greatest Seiken Densetsu game you can possibly make.  HINT: FFXI was really good, SO you should use it, you know, use what are called GAMEPLAY ELEMENTS from 11.

JPDL

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

LOOOOOOOL Final Fantasy XIV may be garbage but that of FFXIII being garbage is bullshit!

Renwoxing13 Hacked By Scarce

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

You know what,.. . . .these japanese developers need to smarten the fuck up, and stop hashing over what the foreign market wants , and likes. Seriously they should do exactly what they did when they started make games for the Japanese people regardless of what they think other countries player-bases want. I mean all their greatest classic games remembered fondly by us "Gaijin" were marketed to, and for the Japanese without us being taken into consideration. .. . and guess what? WE FUCKING LOVED ALL THOSE GAME TITLES!

Jonas Moström

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

Imo ix was the last good ff. Ffx was actually pretty similar to xiii but for some reason cough….graficswh%$&s………people love x. Xii had good gameplay but it was mediocre at best (it should been like xenoblade) xiii is bad and SE cant realize it so they make xiii-2 and lightning returns to try to save themselves instead of making a good game. Hire monolith and release a ff on wiiu just so they can teach you how to make a good modern jrpg. That is my advise

Maijimbo

13 sucked too easy for me. 7 is a challenge try it and 10

Outlaw8908

13 was utter shit.

JT STAR

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

im on chapter 6 on FF 13 and so far its pretty good and very linear but its something different.

drthsons Dot

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

FF XIII was incredible, the graphics, the battles and cutsenes were awesome but most of all the story was deep. From whatI've noticed it is only the online community who hates the game as critics and casuals loved it, all my friends love the game and we cannot understand where all the people who hate it live, in some dark valley at the edge of the world maybe XD

I loved 13 and cannot wait for Versus 13/ FF15

Bryan Davis

Ff13 was great

ash0787

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

13 was utter trash, story was extremely complicated to the point where it was better to just ignore it than try to understand, combat was lame, characters were not up to standard, music was not noteworthy, this isn't just me saying that, I've seen reviews that said the same, I doubt the japanese liked it either. I was surprised it got a sequel. FFXIV:ARR is SO much better even though its an mmo so its not quite the same experience.

CursedFox

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

Gotta say, the line about "wrapping their minds around other cultures" struck bone there. IMO: The Japanese companies are simply moving along with their own cultural progression: that means, the japanese are making games with a larger focus on selling it to- hard to believe- the japanese, not the Europeans, North Americans or other countries. That isn't to say that they won't localise these games in other countries, just that these other countries aren't their focused audience.

bubasa87

Ugh, 13 was shit.

Fiftycalibur

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

The American market has boomed and American/Western consumers have developed a taste. I went from JRPG's to western RPG's and I'm NEVER going back. The Japanese keep trying to sell us the same gay looking crap over and over. It's like the Nissan Cube, probably cool in Japan, but they bring it over and expect us to embrace it with open arms. They import games that only weeaboos with an identity crisis can identify with.

TheVCBaller

hey hey hey i accutally LIKE ff14

crystalinehero

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

I liked 13 (admittedly it was way too linear) 13-2 did well. However, I agree that PLEASE PLEASE KILL FF14 I mean.. while I may want an MMO style FF game… I am unwilling to pay any more subscription fees. I'm over and done with that. You want to charge me for an expansion? Fine you want to have vanity items that people can use micro transactions for? Fine. Hell I think Guild Wars 2 got free to play RIGHT.It becomes a matter of which is more valuable to you your money or your time.

Pyro5kinetic6beaver

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

What game is he playing.

This is my real picture

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

It's not a question of appeasing westerners, but rather just growing with the hardware. Graphics aside, FF13 felt like something I would have played in the ps1 era, complete with "battle screens" every time I ran into an enemy.

Dragons Dogma is an excellent example of how it should be done: It had an open, continuous world that you can interact with, besides just opening chests. Yet it had a kinetic, intense battle system that could only come from Japan. Take notes, Square.

TheJadeFist

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

I rented FF13 when it came out, didn't finish it before i had to return it, I was not motivated to rent it again.

They really should have called it, Final Hall 13, every body is a crystal doing crystal things and gods be motor cycles.

H Cortes

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

I pretty much agree with this Advent Children was the way Square should of took the whole movie thing to begin with and not with the whole Spirits Within way were people wouldn't be interested in it. As far as the series goes it needs to get back to basics and implement back features that the series is known for while also added other things to keep it fresh and new.

H Cortes

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

Yea I pretty much quit towards that part as well and its sad honestly because I wanted to like the game but it was just terrible overall the direction was just not done well at all and you can tell they only focused on graphical presentation and that's it.

BaconMinion

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

Final Fantasy's fall from grace started with The Spirits Within, which sank Square. If not for Enix, they wouldn't be around today to claim that the franchise is damaged. The only reason Final Fantasy 7 exploded like it did was because Square had a massive marketing campaign for that game, commercials, trailers before movies; fuck, I remember when they had FF7 cans of Pepsi.

So why are they like they are now? Complacency from their huge fan base.

lordofshadow23

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

well,the story from ff13 was somehow interesting,the problem was that the game was way to linear on the other hand ff13-2 was not so linear but sometimes i was like:"what the hell…am i watching a soap opera?!" yeah,i'm talking about the cutscenes

420RPGer

squaresoft = amazing
    squareenix = major garbage

Orthonox

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

i enjoyed 13 as a GAME. as a final fantasy, not so much. the story is decent, but not final fantasy worthy, did not like it being linear. but the graphics and the battle system was great (it is not "press X to win!" like everybody else says). ff12 is far superior than 13, but the risk of having a mmo-style battle system was too different for final fantasy so it repealed some people. but i definitely agree that Enix needs to pull their stuff together or we have to say goodbye to a beloved series.

Nf4 Industries

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

Yes… its true base is in Japan.

abdclfclumpqrsttt123

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

yeah he is right just get ride of 14 just… just stop.
    nobody gives a shit about it.
    you fucked it up you can't clean up that fuck up.
    just move on.

theguywhosaidsup

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

does nintendo count as a japanese developer?

DanTheMan33088

I actually really enjoyed Final Fantasy 13

Redweaver

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

There hasn't been a good FF since 9. Squeenix needs to return this series to it's roots, big time! They failed trying to make movies, but they refuse to admit or learn from that failure. They need to stop making these interactive movies set in hallways.

SuperAzura

I loved FFXIII.

DJ Kaze

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

Capcom is doing very well. UMVC3 is great. Dragon's Dogma is great. I don't care what happened to mega man he can stay dead those games are overrated. As pertains to Final Fantasy I think Square-Enix needs to stop trying to be innovative when that isn't what fans want. Their changes end up being more stupid and annoying than an improvement. Stick to the things that made all of us fans in the first place.

Feelin' DanDy

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

CrapCon is worse than Squeeenix…but just by a little.

GammaWALLE

I was talking about COD-fest 600 over at Resident Evil

lonelysith66

(March 28, 2019 - 5:21 am)

'Square Enix CEO: Final Fantasy Brand "Greatly Damaged"'
    I wonder freaking why?